ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] combined post: idiots & cell phones

Re: [endurance] combined post: idiots & cell phones

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 15:29:04 -0800 (PST)

Hey Y'all,

I haven't been online much recently and have let this thread drop a
might. But I really have taken some time to think this out since reading
both of your posts. I've gotten some e-mail from some awlfully thoughtful
people on this like Karen and I really think that I'm going to start
carrying a cellular with me. That's what the sheriff is there for and
doggone it I think it makes perfect sense to let them settle these
things. (One would think we're living in the wild west or (in terms of
Oz) Ned Kelley (did I spell it right?)

On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Nikki Ward wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Samm C Bartee wrote:
>
> > I want to just be able to show some of the idiots pictures of what
> > happens when dumb people try and show off to their friends by spooking
> > the horse. I have seen some very graphic photos of dead horses and dead
>
> oh this struck a chord with me all right. i have a certain amount of
> patience with the drunks and the hunters and the other ignorant idiots
> out there who don't know what they are doing could hurt some-one (not
> alot of patience mind you, but some :-). but i have no patience
> whatsoever with the deliberate idiots who TRY to spook your horse and who
> think it's funny to see you tossed off onto your head. they'd better
> watch out if they bother me because i'll have their number and my first
> stop on the way home is the police station.
>
> one of our favourite places to ride was in the plantation forests. good
> tracks, generally only used by horses and walkers and joggers and the odd
> mountain bike. we all get on fine. the occasional car comes through too -
> on a sunday drive. this is no big deal - the tracks are wide, there's
> room for two cars to pass and my horse ain't THAT fat :-)
>
> on one particular occasion we were riding along the track beside the
> river. the river is in quite a steep valley at this point and the road
> was quite high above it, with a rough drop down into the river. we were
> on the river side of the road (i always keep to the outside of bends if i
> can - cars etc have more chance of seeing you) and a car came along. we
> were riding side by side, but close to the edge and there was plenty of
> room for the car to pass. they even slowed down so we relaxed thinking it
> was a nice driver. more fool us. he slowed down so he could wind down his
> window, reach out and throw something at the horse as he gunned the
> engine right next to us, then took off, showering us in gravel! my
> friend's horse was on the inside and naturally freaked out. it leapt
> sideways and ran into my horse who was on the drop side. and to this day
> i thank my lucky stars he is a solid horse, only two feet went over the
> edge and he managed to hold himself up with the other two, by this time
> with me and my friend on his back as she had come off her horse and
> landed over his withers! i shudder to think what would have happened if
> he had have been lighter and easier to knock aside, or if he'd have
> freaked as well......
>
> take care out there everyone!
>
> nik & the gang (taaj, saki & dippa) in australia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tommy Crockett~Los Osos, California USA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~tomydore@goblin.punk.net~~DAMS028%CALPOLY.BITNET@cmsa.berkeley.edu~