ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] LMF Feed

Re: [endurance] LMF Feed

Dominique Freeman (fadjurs@sadandy.hpl.hp.com)
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 06:30:30 -0700 (PST)

karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us (Karen Chaton) wrote:
> >To all of you who are going to the PNER function...stop in at the LMF Horse
> >Rations booth for some "real" nutrition info. LMF has "highly developed",
> >balanced products
> >matched to the forage you're using. Ask about their "Endurance Ener-G"
> >feed. It
> >has been field tested by folks like Susan Hayes, etc. Tell them "The Maven"
> >sent you.
> >Best regards, Al R.
> >

> My horse has been on that for several months, and it seems to be great. I
> really like not having to add selenium to his diet (we are in a selenium
> deficient area).
>
> One thing I am concerned about though - maybe somebody out there knows more
> about this - but the sixth ingredient listed on their new labels is "cane
> molasses". I have been told by several riders that an endurance horse
> should never have molasses (that's why before I had been using dry cob).
> Any comments? Does anybody think this is something I should worry about -
> or should I just assume that LMF knows what they are doing- do people in
> other parts of the country have the same formulation in their Ener-G feed?

> Just wondering. Thanks - Karen

Karen,
Mollasses in great quantities is thought to chelate Magnesium ions (Mg2+),
and hence feeds such as All in One, C.O.B. (Corn-Oats-Barley) tend to be
avoided. Though I have never seen any published data on this, I have found
personally that my horses do better not using feeds based on molasses. If
maintaining body weight is the requirement, try a rice bran supplement such
as Vita Bran which has added vitamins (incl. biotin). We are careful in the
East Bay area about added selenium (usually added to facilitate vitamin E
uptake). Our water is *very* high in selenium, and if you've ever seen a horse
with selenium toxicity (cracked hair, hooves, mane), its not a pleasant sight.

I would ask the company if they would formulate a feed without molasses, and
also where they derive their energy source (mainly carbohydrates or fat (such as
butyric acid)?). If it is not from the molasses, then they might feel comfortable
doing an endurance formulation subtracting the molasses, and maybe substituting
corn (maize for our european readers) for their carbo source. It seems if they
are willing to go to the trouble of matching their feed supplement to your forage
they are already thinking along those lines (ca:P ratios etc for oat vs grass
vs alfalfa).

Just some thoughts,

Dom

Dominique Freeman | "Life is short, science is long" |
fadjurs@sadandy.hpl.hp.com | |
Hewlett Packard Laboratories, | |
Palo Alto, CA USA | |
Phone: (415) 857-8596 | |