ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] electrolytes?

Re: [endurance] electrolytes?

Lucie A. Hess (lhess01@mail.coin.missouri.edu)
Sun, 7 Jan 1996 21:39:10 -0600 (CST)

Here's a great recipe for home made electrolytes given to me by Dr. Dane
Frazier. 2 parts lite salt from the grocery store, 1 part calcium
carbonate "Ag Lime" from the feed store, and 1 part magnesium oxide also
from the feed store. Give 2 oz. at each vet check or every 12 miles. I
also give it the night before competition and every feeding while in
competition. Remember to give it at least one time after the competition.
I've never had trouble with my horses accepting it either dry or in their
feed. To use dry I cut of the end of a large syringe, put in the mix,
tell Horsey to open wide, and shove it in (remembering to hold his head up
for awhile). I also ride in NATRC where I can't use this method so the
horse will eat it in his feed. I've never had trouble with this mix
burning their mouths and I know it really encourages them to drink.
Hope this is helpful. Lucie, Columbia Missouri