ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Helmets

Re: [endurance] Helmets

maven@eznet.com
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 08:18:07 -0800

>On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Joe Long wrote:
>
>> That sounds reasonable on the surface, but think it through. That
>> same principle can be applied to every action in our lives. If the
>> government can force us to do things "for our own good" on the
>> grounds that the government must care for us if we get hurt, then we
>> have lost all our freedom. We could soon find ourselves in a police
>> state the likes of which the world has never seen.
>>
>> I *ALWAYS* wear a seal belt when I drive, no exceptions -- but I
>> oppose seat belt laws. I always wore a helment when riding a
>> motorcycle but I oppose helmet laws.
>>

> Joe,
> Do you stay within the speed limit, but oppose speed limit
> laws?
> I agree that government protecting us from ourselves is
> wrong on the grounds of costs incurred. I feel that it is

I have been reading this helmet stuff long enough to throw in my two cents
worth. I wear my helmet. I wear my seatbelt. I have medical insurance.
I think.
What I believe we need is less government and regulatory interference in our
lives, more personal responsibility, and more personal common sense.
Perhaps, we can all rededicate ourselves to the above principles in the
coming year and there will be less
heartache and more happiness and certainly less messages on the same subject.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all...Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward
Men (persons)!! Al R.