> Date: Mon, 18 Dec 95 11:54:19 +0800
> From: rsantana@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu
> To: ZHBF15A@prodigy.com
> Subject: Re: Clumsy Horse

> Your note follows:

> >rom: ZHBF15A@prodigy.com (MRS KAREN L CHATON)
> >Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 13:55:45 EST
> >Subject: [endurance] Re: Clumsy Horse
> >
> >I just thought I'd see if anybody out htere has any advice or
> >information on the following:
> >
> >My freind has a horse (who is a brother to one of mine), who seems to
> >be getting clumsier and tripping more and more as he gets older. She
> >has taken him to the local vet clinic and a thorough soundness exam,
> >x-rays, blood work, etc., and they can't find anything wrong. Aside
> >from the tripping he is sound (what?) He seems to be doing it more
> >and more and at all gaits. They have ruled out wobbles and some
> >other things thru the blood work. Does anybody know if something
> >like this is genetic? In the case of his brother (my horse), things
> >were the opposite - he started out as a clod and got more sure footed.
> >

> >I feel really bad for my friend a she has a lot of time and emotion
> >invested in this horse and things don't look good. Does anybody have
> >any suggestions on what to try and look for? Her vet suggested
> >taking him to UC Davis, but I don't think she can afford that right
> >now.
>
> >Thanks, Karen
> >Fadjur breeding)

Karen,

Those kinds of problems can also be caused by a poor saddle fit.
Pinching in the shoulder or wither areas can cause nerve numbness which
results in stumbling.
Eliminate that as a problem by trying other saddles or by using
a pad to lift the saddle off the shoulders.

Ray Santana
UC Davis Medical Center
Network Operations
raymond.santana@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu