ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Re: On-Line Services

Re: [endurance] Re: On-Line Services

Joe Long (jlong@hiwaay.net)
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 21:22:53 -500

On 15 Dec 95 at 18:07, KAREN CHATON wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody could tell me what on-line services they
> are using that allow them access to the Endurance Home Page? I'm on
> Prodigy, and there are a lot of items in the endurance section that I
> cannot access. I would considering changing services if any of you
> could recommend another company I'd appreciate it?

None of the on-line services offer Internet access as good as you get
from an Internet Service Provider. An ISP allows your computer to
become, while you are dialed in, fully attached to the Internet
itself. You can run whatever software you prefer, instead of using
the on-line services' browser, newsreader and mail program.

Many ISP's charge a flat monthly rate no matter how many hours you
are connected, and they do not limit your e-mail or charge by the
message or message length.

Most areas of the country are served by at least one ISP, and they
generally support 28.8K modems and ISDN.

Check with your local computer stores or colleges to find out about
ISP's in your area. The quality of ISP's varies greatly. If you have
a choice of more than one, ask them about the kind of equipment they
use and if they have the full selection of UseNet newsgroups. If
possible, check with other users to see if they have a problem with
"busy signals" during peak times.

I believe you will be much happier with an ISP rather than an on-line
service.

--

Joe Long Rainbow Connection Arabians PC/LAN Manager home of Kahlil Khai Calhoun Community College AERC Hall of Fame horse jlong@hiwaay.net 11,475 miles completed