ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Re: (using) Easy Boots

Re: [endurance] Re: (using) Easy Boots

Gwen Dluehosh (dluehosh@vt.edu)
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 10:48:56 -0500 (EST)

They taught us a trick at Vet school- USe Elasticon around the outside of
the dry hoof wall (Ask your vet for this) The teeth grip the elasticon, and
that stuff is fabricky, so the boot stays on great. At Fort Valley (heck I
may as well tell) the second place horse in the 100 lost both front shoes
the first day, and I couldn't put on new shoes, so we got easyboots on her
withthis stuff. They worked great- the only thing we id to help the horse
out some was to also take a piece of that Elasticon and wrap it around the
top of the easy boot and the hair/hoof at the coronary band. DON"T stretch
it, just LAY it on there or you can cause damage to the blood supply to the
hoof. It will keep debris OUT of the boot if you have no easy foam.
BTW, They did complete in second place, and the mare was VERY sound
afterwards. We had to change the upper wrapping at the vet checks- we were
also using duct tape to sort of waterproof it, but I don't htink it worked
THAT great.
Gwen
In message Wed, 13 Dec 1995 19:31:23 -0500, RUN4BEAR@aol.com writes:

> Right on, Nick!!! The strap idea works great!! I use a 24" by 1" wide
> piece of nylon strapping, wrap it around the heel strap inside the boot
> and pull the boot into place. I just keep it handy with my easyboot.
>
> The foam works great...a bit messy the first time you try it. But, don't
> let the foam touch anything you care about!!! I can't get it to come off
> clothing, towels, etc. In fact, I have a hard time removing it from the
> boot and even the hoof. If you put some vaseline on the hoof before
> foaming, that will help, but I wonder how much that defeats the purpose
> of the foam??
> Next time I call Easycare Co. I will ask them if they are "on-line" and
> maybe they can answer some of our questions.
>
> Teddy

| Gwen Dluehosh "Pretty enough to show, |
| Desert Storm Arabians (| |)_____ tough enough |
| 2249 Mt. Tabor Rd / \ \__=___ to RIDE." |
| Blacksburg, VA 24060 (= + =) \___=___ |
| 540/953-1792 \ + / \__=____ |
| dluehosh@vt.edu | + | \____=___ |
| Endurance/racing ()+() \ _______ |
| halter stock available \_/ |