ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] stifle

[endurance] stifle

Fred & Jan Canfield (fred_jan@bendnet.com)
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 19:01:49 -0800

>To: step@fsr.com
>From: fred_jan@bendnet.com (Fred & Jan Canfield)
>Subject: stifle
>Bcc:
>I had a horse 2 years ago who was very straight from the hock to the
stifle. I got him when he was 4. By the time I wanted to condition him in
the spring, his attitude had really turned sour - after spending some time
watching him, I discovered he was having trouble engaging his hind quarters.
They seemed to lock. It was as though he could move his front end but the
hind quarters seemed to be stuck in place. There was a definite sound when
he did move that I finally located at the stifle. This poor little fellow
was in tremendous pain as the ligament was catching on the patella when he
tried to move his hind quarters. This was quite apparent after he had been
standing for a little while. My vet agreed for him the only thing to do was
to clip the offending ligament, since he had only gotten worse with
exercise. I wanted to do both sides - but was persuaded (against my better
judgement) to only do the worst one (both were bad), hoping that with
exercise the other would improve - not so lucky! We clipped the other side
3 months later. The recovery is very rapid, (about a week) as they need
exercise to keep the clipped ends from coming back together & causing problems.
>The surgery is done with them standing & is almost bloodless (amazingly
enough). I don't believe you would be able to tell there was even a scar. I
know I could not feel it! The only problem I was told about is that they
need to be able to lie down to sleep, as this is part of the mechanism which
allows the horse to lock & sleep standing.
>He recovered fine, & is now a delightful trail horse for another smaller
person & has the normal wonderful attitude of the Arabian, now that he is no
longer in pain.