ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Respiration and Cooling

Re: [endurance] Respiration and Cooling

Joe Long (jlong@hiwaay.net)
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 15:30:00 -600

> From: Wendy Milner <wendy@nsmdserv.cnd.hp.com>
> Subject: [endurance] Respiration and Cooling

> Obviously, you had no problem on this ride, but -
>
> Cooling a horse should usually be done at a slower rate
> [New endurance riders take note, don't ice the horse unless
> you know what you are doing.]

<snip>

Wendy, a very good point. I've been reluctant to tell this story in
a public forum for fear that I would lead an inexperienced rider to
try this trick when his horse really was having a problem.

I agree that unless a horse is dangerously overheated it is better
to cool it gradually rather than suddenly. How fast to cool is
always a judgement call, taking into consideration the weather
condtions, the ride rules, and the fitness of the horse.

Actually, the ice trick is not cooling the horse. A pound or two of
ice will have negligible effect on the core temperature of an 800
pound animal. There is some kind of nerve center inside the anus
that, when cooled, signals the brain to lower respiration (I don't
know the details of the mechanism). It only works for a few minutes;
then the respiration will rise again until the horse does cool out.

Anyway, for you new riders, this is definitely a "don't try this at
home" deal! Until you know your horse and endurance riding very
well, don't ever use the "ice trick" to pass a vet check!!!

--

Joe Long Rainbow Connection Arabians PC/LAN Manager home of Kahlil Khai Calhoun Community College AERC Hall of Fame horse jlong@hiwaay.net 11,475 miles completed