ridecamp@endurance.net: Re[2]: [endurance] Backbone Trail/So. Cal riders

Re[2]: [endurance] Backbone Trail/So. Cal riders

Stacy A Berger (Stacy_A_Berger@ccm.sc.intel.com)
Fri, 01 Dec 95 10:33:00 PST

Text item:

Hi-

I tend to agree with Linda - the all or nothing position doesn't help anyone.
Rather than protesting the mountain bikers, I would suggest strict right of way
rules (for all users). After much debate about a park in Milpitas, the county
designated some trails as horse/hikers only and some trails as cyclist/hiker
only. The end result was half the trails are no longer accessible to the horse
folks.

We need to learn to work with other trail users. The parks are owned by the
public, and the governments need to insure that everyone has accessibilty and
the ability to enjoy them. Although it would be nice to have the trails to
horses only, I don't think it is realistic.

Another thought on this - the Western States trail (Tevis) is a multi-use trail.
It certainly has the dangerous drop-offs and is not for the faint of heart. I
have run into cyclist on that trail. They have been courteous and stopped for
the horses to pass (horses have the right of way).

Stacy Berger
Morgan Hill, CA

Text item: External Message Header