ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] alkalosis/ HUH???

[endurance] alkalosis/ HUH???

Gwen Dluehosh (dluehosh@vt.edu)
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 15:11:03 -0500 (EST)

Lynn, I know about all this you are talking about, but I am not so sure I
agree completely... THe horse is blowing of CO2 to bring up blood pH--but
you imply that endurance horses are alkalotic--how can this be when the
major muscle product is LACTIC ACID, which is causing the problem? If the
blood pH is low because of HLa, it only makes sense to me that the horse
would blow of CO2 to raise his pH to counteract HLa.
Am I missing something?

"LYNN M. Crespo" <lynn@alpha.acast.nova.edu> writes:
> The kidneys can excrete or reabsorb bicarbonate and acids as needed to
> compensate metabolic changes. In addition respiration rate is influenced
> by pH.
>
> In the body CO2 is converted to carbonic acid and lowers the pH of the
> body. When the body becomes acidic, respiration rate increases to
> eliminate CO2 and bring pH back up towards normal. Conversely, when pH
> of the body is alkaline, respiration rate will slow down to conserve CO2

> Our endurance horses, due to many factors including their rapid
> respiration rates are alkalotic. If respiration rate increases further,
** such as in an inversion the alkalosis worsens and the foundation is laid
> for development of thumps (synchronous diaphragmatic flutter) and
> rhabdomyolysis (tying up).************
| Gwen Dluehosh "Pretty enough to show, |
| Desert Storm Arabians (| |)_____ tough enough |
| 2249 Mt. Tabor Rd / \ \__=___ to RIDE." |
| Blacksburg, VA 24060 (= + =) \___=___ |
| 540/953-1792 \ + / \__=____ |
| dluehosh@vt.edu | + | \____=___ |
| Endurance/racing ()+() \ _______ |
| halter stock available \_/ |