ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Logbooks

Re: [endurance] Logbooks

Gwen Dluehosh (dluehosh@vt.edu)
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 14:13:51 -0500 (EST)

Yes, it does help. I enjoy rereading what my horse did anyway from time to
time, and if anyone asks, you have a hard copy to show them! I think this
logbook idea is a good one-it seems to me to be a good way to standardize
everything that gets done anyway-she'd right about not forgetting the saddle
or the coggins test!

I would still let those not in AERC compete, under the rules already in
place! NO need to exclude people. Generally you are either going to know
whether you want to get points on your horse or not, and if you need to do
things retroactively, well, AERC at least already does most of this.

Plus if you have a book, it keeps one from worrying about wet papers and
things. The only thing I don't agree with is novice level/endurance level. I
think that should be left up to someone to decide what they can handle. Also
I don't think it is a good idea for the current vet to keep looking back at
previous records --it could make them second guess their good judgment and
be fatal to a horse. If there is a big question at the vet check, maybe then
the book should get pulled out and looked at, but not until the vet gives
his/her opinion about the horse without looking.
I hope this makes some sense, it's late and exams are next week.
Gwen
In message Thu, 30 Nov 1995 07:48:55 -0600 (CST),
Samm C Bartee <bartesc@mail.auburn.edu> writes:

> Hey! I keep all of my horses stuff in a big notebook. I put everything
> in those plastic covers with the holes in them and put them in the 3 ring
> binder. I have a notebook with clear plastic on the front and back, and
> I put pictures of my horses in this. I categorize each horse, put copies
> of reg. papers, pedigrees, health cetificates, coggins, etc. and then
> each ride card that I have. In some cases, I haven't gotten my card
> back, or it was wet, so I substituted a piece of paper with what I could
> remember on each. I works pretty good, and I have a stallion too, and I
> know it has come in handy to be able to show people his recoveries, etc.
> It really helps from year to year to be able to go back and see what I
> did at the previous ride before I plan what pace, etc. to set.
> I also keep a separate book for babies, broodmares, prospects, boarders,
> etc. Hope this helps
>

> APPY TRAILS
>
> SAMM C. BARTEE
> AUBURN, AL.

| Gwen Dluehosh "Pretty enough to show, |
| Desert Storm Arabians (| |)_____ tough enough |
| 2249 Mt. Tabor Rd / \ \__=___ to RIDE." |
| Blacksburg, VA 24060 (= + =) \___=___ |
| 540/953-1792 \ + / \__=____ |
| dluehosh@vt.edu | + | \____=___ |
| Endurance/racing ()+() \ _______ |
| halter stock available \_/ |