ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] crosstraining

Re: [endurance] crosstraining

CMikeT@aol.com
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 18:36:32 -0500

In a message dated 95-11-28 15:53:33 EST Karen Steenhof wrote:

>Is it possible to compete successfully in both endurance (50-100
>mile rides) and 1st or 2nd level dressage on the same horse
>during the same season?
>
>If any of you have done it, what is your training schedule?
>
>How do you maintain weight on a horse that will be acceptable in
>the show arena while keeping the horse fit enough to do 100-mile
>rides?
>
>Does muscle development produced at 2nd level (and higher) work
>ever interfere with a horse's ability to do long distance at
>speed?

One of our horses, who just won third place in 3rd Level at the Arabian
National Championships last month, has competed in 50s and done fine. I ride
the 50s and train 2nd level, my wife, Debbie, does the higher level dressage.

The training involves his usual for dressage, about 1 hour each day on the
average and then once or twice a week he goes up the local hills at a trot
for a few hours.

We have had difficulty keeping weight on him, but we have been using a
product called "Equi-Flax" which is a digestive enzyme with flax which has
enabled him to maintain well.

The bulkier muscles are more difficult to cool out, but the overall fitness
more than makes up for the extra bulk.

I would suggest a little dressage for everyone. Boring as all &%$*, but well
worth the time in the long run.

Mike

C. Mike Tomlinson, DVM
Tomlinson Consortium