ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Finsihing time

Re: [endurance] Finsihing time

Linda Cowles @ PCB x5624 (linda_cowles@mentorg.com)
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 07:37:29 -0800

On Nov 27, 4:13pm, Truman Prevatt wrote:
> Subject: [endurance] Finsihing time
> I have heard for the past few years that there were proposals to change the
> finishing time to reflect the hold time. That is the time allowed for a 50
> would be 12 hours ride time and not 12 hours elased time. There are
> instances where an extension of the ride time would is probably warrented -
> and that goes for every region. I am sure many people would have liked
> extra time for the Old Dominion this year with its high temps and humidity.
> But these conditions will happen and "mother nature" is part of the sport.
> There are some rides that you just might not finish with the current rules
> Under the current rules the ride management and vets have a delicate
> balancing act. Is it better to have longer holds to rest the horses only
> to have them to have to go faster to finish?
>
>-- End of excerpt from Truman Prevatt

This years Castle Rock 50/70 was a really hot, humid ride for this part of
California, partcularly as the weather up to that time had been very mild.
I came into the Swanton vet check totally unable to go on - the heat and
humidity really did us in, but HAD I been able to continue, I would have
appreciated an extension so that I could finish the ride in 12 hours of
riding vs lapsed time.

I feel that the head vet and/or ride manager need the authority to do what he
or she thinks is necessary to keep the ride safe for the participants. If
that's extending the ride time, so be it.

Linda
Gilroy, Calif