ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Over-riding

Re: [endurance] Over-riding

Linda Cowles @ PCB x5624 (linda_cowles@mentorg.com)
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 11:08:47 -0800

On Nov 27, 11:48am, Unreplyable!SMTP!OutboundSyntaxError@mail.att.net wrote:
> Subject: [endurance] Over-riding

<snip>

> We all have seen people who are highly focused on winning and have
> front-runner fever. However, IMHO, these are not the same people who one
sees
> tailing a horse. A person does not tail unless that person has considerable
> regard for the horse's welfare. It's just too much work and can be slower
> than staying in the saddle.

Actually, I know several folks that will override their horse and tail
or run as well. Many endurance folks are athletes in their own right,
and running is part of their training. I know of several that attempted
and/or completed the Western States 100 Run, and followed it up by riding
the Tevis (same course) several weeks later.

One of the folks I'm thinking of has a ten+ YO horse that is almost
used up (and is for sale), and another goes through horses regularly.
These two run alot... they put many miles on themselves when push comes
to shove. They use their horses hard, as well.

And Ride and Tie folks also ride endurance; they make GREAT time on foot.
I have seen a few overridden R-n-T horses.

The competitive urge that pushes a person to go for 1st place can also
push that person to get off and tail if they've compromised the finishing
condition of their horse... if they are in any sort of condition to run!
They are trying hard to win, and the horse has to be sound crossing the
finishing line to do that. Some people tail because it's the only chance
they have of getting what they want. A good finish ranking.

Can't make generalizations. Some people can't or won't slow themselves when
they get close to being #1.

Linda
Gilroy, Ca.