ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Strangles Question

Re: [endurance] Strangles Question

C.M.Newell (reshan@ultranet.com)
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 10:41:43 -0500 (EST)

>To: Colleen Carlton <ESRLCAC@mvs.oac.ucla.edu>
>From: reshan@ultranet.com (C.M.Newell)
>Subject: Re: [endurance] Strangles Question
>

>> My question: a neighbor's herd of horses has contracted Strangles,
>>which I believe is a highly contagious disease spread easily among
>>equines. How close does contact need to be for a healthy animal to
>>be exposed?
>
> >How "air born" is the virus (if it is a virus)
>
>Contact with the horse or with nasal discharrge or pus from the
abscesses. Can be carried on your boots, clothing, hands, etc., but not
airborne for long distances. More like airborne from a sneeze.
>It is a bacterial infection--Strptococcus equi.
>
>> Also, is there any vaccine to prevent Strangles?
>
>There are several. Efficacy is only moderate; local reactions, sometimes
fairly severe, are not uncommon.

>>Thanks in advance for all your advice.
>>

> --CMNewell, DVM
>PS You *could* have asked this on rec.eq. I have answered this before
there. we don't all bite, you know. (And once you get used to the
subculture, you might realize that the insults being hurled are frequently
tongue-in-cheek.)

"The expression in a horse's eye is like a blessing on a good man's house."
--Sayied iben-el Rabil, quoting the Prophet