ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Baths in the Winter??

Re: [endurance] Baths in the Winter??

Mark A. Thayer (mathayer@cs.unm.edu)
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 20:32:28 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 1 Nov 1995, The Purple Demon wrote:

> Also, Special's mane is very long, and get's terribly tangled on rides.
> I used to be able to bathe her and condition it really well to get the
> tangles out. Should I just braid her mane when I ride her?? Right now
> I'm just spraying it with WD-40 and brushing it out, but it's sticky and
> -VERY- dirty.

According to my wife, who's a chemical engineer and works in the
solvent industry -- WD-40 is about the *worst* thing you could put on
your horse. It's a solvent that contains a metal lubricating oil.
You spray it on, the solvent evaporates, and your left with the oil
that attracts and holds the dirt. So the solvent has stripped out the
natural oil, and the lubricant attracts dirt which tangles the mane
again, etc.

Use something like Mane 'n Tail detangler. We use it on our horse,
and our daughter's long hair! If you don't want to spend that much,
make up a very dilute solution of any hair conditioner and spray it
on.

Best,

Mark Thayer
Albuquerque, New Mexico