ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Rene's Accident

[endurance] Rene's Accident

Roger Garlitz (Rgarlitz@TXRANGER.COM)
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 11:52:00 -0600

>Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 17:18:48 -0500
>From: SylviaaR@aol.com
>To: AnneOkie@aol.com, OKCShirley@aol.com, Bogeeta@aol.com,
>rgarlitz@txranger.com, T004Holmes@aol.com
Here is an advertisment for helmets. This is the third serios accident that
i have personal knowelege of a helmet saving someone's life. They may look
stupid, and may be hot, but it beats a trip to the hospital/morg. Rene is a
very experienced horse/mule trainer and a life member of NATRC. If it could
happen to her it could happen to me-----&---

>Subject: Rene's Accident
>
> I was finally able to get thru to Chuck and talk to him. For those of you
>I have added to this and did not see my first note, Rene Stevens Davis had an
>accident yesterday with a young mule that she is just starting out. These
>are the details of the accident.
> She was seen at 11 a.m. out at the new farm by a man who delivered a check
>for some hay to her. She told him she was leaving at 12 to go to the old
>farm to pack some things. At 1 p.m. the neighbors next to them went out to
>feed their cows & decided to drive back in their pasture to look for one,
>this was about 1:20. They saw Rene sitting up at the top of the hill by the
>barn in her truck. When she saw them coming, she got out of the truck and
>walked over to them at the fence. They said she looked confused and was
>wearing a helmet. When asked what was wrong she replied that she did not
>know where she was or how she got there. They immediately got her thru the
>fence into their truck and took her to their house.
> Now both of these people are chiropractors and should have a little
>medical knowledge. They should have taken her directly to a hospital but did
>not. Her helmet was all crushed at the back of her head, at the base of the
>skull and she had 2 hematomas on her head back there. She did not know her
>name or where she lived. They talked to her, then put her in their truck and
>drove around until she recognized a way to her house and they took her and
>dropped her off.
> She went inside and woke Chuck up and told him it was 2:30. Chuck is on
>the night shift right now. He said he was kind of aggravated that she woke
>him up to tell him this and then she shook him again and said "I think I had
>an accident". He then realized something was wrong and got up to check on
>her. That was when he saw the helmet in her hand. He put a flashlight in
>her eyes and neither pupil would contract so he rushed her right to the
>hospital. They did x-rays and an MRI, but no bleeding internally, no
>fractures. Dr said helmet obviously saved her life.
> She does not remember about 5 hours, but this morning woke up and told
>Chuck that she thinks she was kicked in the head. That is all she remembers
>at this point. I did talk to her and she remembers earlier in the week
>planning to hand walk the mule around the land and just do some ground work
>with her, but does not know if she was on the mule or leading her. The mule
>was found in the pasture with the tack by the gate. She also remembers
>something about a briar or branch being caught in the mule's tail. Possibly
>she was trying to remove it, who knows.
> Anyway, she is finding lots of sore places and still is not all there, but
>hopefully will recover okay. Just wanted all of you to know the rest of the
>story.
> ....Sylvia

"Endeavor to Persevere" regards, Roger Garlitz