> Subject: [endurance] re:computer costs
> As an electrical engineer I have had occasion to recommend purchase of some
> very specialized, calculation intensive software (very expensive compared to
> off-the-shelf commercial software).
>
> My first thought on seeing the figures in Endurance News was that those costs
> were extremely high and at least as much as the engineering software I use at
> work. Annual updates, in particular, to already purchased programming should
> not cost so much. I agree that someone has either sold AERC a bill of goods
> or given very bad advice. (or, as someone else said, I have missed
> something.....)
> Dave Bennett

The reported costs seem *very* high to me also. Particularly for PC based
s/w. I work for a company that provides s/w such as Dave is referring to,
and he's right, this seems very out of line.

If it's costing us many thousands a year to track a few awards programs,
perhaps we need to re-architect the awards to make them easier to sustain.
Or transfer the cost to the participants.

Linda