ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance]loops into camp

Re: [endurance]loops into camp

Linda Cowles @ PCB x5624 (linda_cowles@MENTORG.COM)
Mon, 16 Oct 95 08:40:39 -0700

I think it depends on what your horse is use to. I really enjoy the
Oakland Hills ride, but the Las Trampas ride, which covers the same
territory but has loops that pass the same point 4 times (I think)
is a really tough ride for us, because we keep having to "go back out".

I'll still ride this ride if everything falls into place right, because
it is *really* well managed and I do like the area, but it isn't a target
ride that I go out of my way to do, and the only reason is the loops.

Shatirr is a quasi-endurance horse to begin with, and these loops
take a lot out of him. Are they cruel? For him, it's very hard mentally.
Perhaps some horses aren't bothered by it. These loop-rides are harder
for us than, for example, the Western States 50, which is a physically
tougher ride.

I suspect that training riding loops would be a good way to avoid a
mental crash. We've never had a problem with lunch in camp, which is
virtually the same thing. I personally love having the lunch stop back
at the trailer.

Linda
Gilroy, Calif.