> Subject: Re: [endurance] Mud fever aka rainrot
> A word of caution with the vinegar . . .
>
> I admit my horse Porter is hyper-sensitive, but
> there may be other horses out there like him. I
> once put an apple-vinegar wash on him after a ride
> around the ranch where I boarded. It was 2 cups of
> vinegar in 2 gallons of water. I put it on him as
> a fly repellent. He ended up running around out of
> control bucking then throwing himself on the ground
> and rolling. (it was about a 5 minute delayed reaction.)
> It appeared to be burning his skin!
<snip>
> Stacy

I thought it was just Shatirr that was sensitive to vinegar!

Years ago, I gradually started adding vinegar to Shatirrs bran mash
as a fly repellant, working up to 1/4 cup every other day. Two weeks
went by, and I took him out for a slow training ride. Ten miles into the
ride he started feeling a little goosie under me, and seconds later he
almost dropped out from under me.

I jumped off immediately. He kept cringing under the saddle, trying to
drop out from under it. I whipped off the saddle and blanket (a Wintek and
Woolback pad that I'd ridden in for a year), and his back was very, very
sensitive to the touch. Even blowing on his back caused a pain response.

To make a long story short, I emptied both water bottles on his back and
then hiked 10 miles carrying the saddle, pad and breastcolar. I sponged
him off liberally when I got back to the trailer and hosed him for 20 min.
back at the ranch, and then applied aloe gel.

The next morning, the skin that had been exposed to any sweat turned black
and raw, and started peeling off by the next day. Six LONG weeks later he
was okay to ride... sigh...

Careful with that vinegar! - Linda
Gilroy, Calif