ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Mud fever aka rainrot

Re: [endurance] Mud fever aka rainrot

Sallijan Snyder (sallijan@ix.netcom.com)
Sun, 8 Oct 1995 23:17:25 -0700

Lynn Crespo wrote:

>Baby oil and Vinegar (half and half). After cleaning and thoroughly
>drying the area I spray the solution and work it into the area. The baby
>oil lubricates the skin to prevent cracking and flaking and the vinegar,
>which is acidic, changes the pH of the skin to make it inhospitable for
>the bacteria to grow. Acutally, vinegar is an excellent antiseptic. It
>is commonly used to sterilize respiratory equipment used in the home. We
>use it daily on my son's nebulizer. It is a little smelly, but it
>cleared up the rainrot in 4 days.

What kind of vinegar? I'd assume distilled (white) or apple cider would be
good, but probably not one of those herbal wine vinegars (unless you want a
REALLY strange-smelling horse).

Is this awfully hard to wash off again?

-Sallijan

--
Sallijan Snyder                        sallijan@ix.netcom.com
 - Santa Clara County Horsemen's Association