ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] night riding

Re: [endurance] night riding

Truman Prevatt (prevatt@lds.loral.com)
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 10:15:40 -0400

>Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 10:04:27 -0400
>To:Carol Randall <carol.randall@aslan.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu>
>From:prevatt@lds.loral.com (Truman Prevatt)
>Subject:Re: [endurance] night riding

Sometimes it is a matter of education. On a ride last year I picked up
sponsorship of a junior at mile 65 when here sponsor pulled. She was a 15
year old girl and it was her first 100 and when it got dark she didn't know
what to do. So she turned on her head lamp. At one point going down a
narrow overgrown trail she turned around and shot the light into my eyes.
Needless to say I was blinded. I asked her if she had ever ridden in a car
when someone wouldn't take off their bright lights and how much that
blinded her. She said she had. Then I asked her to turn off her light for
a while. The trail was so closed in at this point you couldn't get lost.
In a mile or two I told her to look at the oak tree on on her right and
turned my light onto the shiny leaves. She turned her head quickly and
said wow. She said she didn't know how much the lights blinded people until
then. From that point on we road without lights.

Another good point raised by Joe is to always carry a spare. Also, if you
are using a small flash light always turn it on before you take it out of a
pocket. That way if you drop it you can find it. I learned that the hard
way.

Truman
-------Original Post------------

>>I'm glad Joe Long mentioned how disconcerting it can be to both horse and
>>rider when someone comes from behind with the lighted helmet when you and
>>your horse are doing very using night vision. So what would be the proper
>>etiquette to get them to turn it off? Especially if you don't feel like
>>letting every rider with a helmet light go past you just to distance
>>yourself from them? Opinions, suggestions? Thanks.
>>
>>Carol

The race is not always to the swift, but to those that keep running.

Truman and Mystic "The Horse from HELL" Storm

prevatt@lds.loral.com - Sarasota, Florida
__