ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Re: endurance-digest V1 #155

[endurance] Re: endurance-digest V1 #155

rsantana@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu
Tue, 03 Oct 95 14:23:01 +0900

From: (Tina Hicks)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 10:56:37 -0500
Subject: [endurance] heart monitors

okay - we've been through trucks, saddles, and boots. What about heart
monitors?? Do any of you use them? Are they useful? What brand(s) would you
recommend? There seem to be so many out now it's hard to tell the
differences between them.

Tina Hicks, hickst@puzzler.nichols.com
Andy -the behavior offering, waiting for a click, dal
7 cats, one dippy Arab (that's redundant isn't it?), and one husband

The lines above the asterisks are copied from the digest. This is my reply!

The heart rate monitor that seems to be the most popular is the V-MAX models
based on POLAR components. The maker of this unit is Roger Rittenhouse and he
is the ONLY authorized OEM for POLAR units.
You will find others selling the POLAR Human Heart monitors as if they are
horse heart monitors but the components are not the same nor as useful for horses.
The V-MAX comes in a basic and an enduro model at a bit higher cost.
The Basic has heart rate only while the Enduro has a watch and several
training features such as recovery alarms and timers you can use for
training and at vet stops.
I use the Enduro model while my wife is satisfied with the Basic.
In a vet check I start my stop watch as soon as I get my official P&R
time. Then I know how my time is doing. I have also caught several timers
whose clocks are not synchronized with the P&R people (another topic).
Imitators will try to sell you a POLAR component system using a "wireless"
transmitter system claiming you don't have to use electrode patches. While it
is true those units do not require electrodes the method of applying the
transmitter to the girth is very crude and often causes inoperation of the
transmitter. I know of several users of this type who are very unhappy.
The V-MAX uses a transmitter that you must connect 2 electrodes to in order
to pick up the heart signals. The transmitter then sends the signals to the wrist unit
via low power radio waves.
Where to get the V-MAX??
The Australian Connection
916-791-1542