ridecamp@endurance.net: [endurance] Question about California Poisonous Plant life

[endurance] Question about California Poisonous Plant life

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 18:29:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 5 Sep 1995, Automatic digest processor wrote:

> Shadowfax loves to chow down on poison ivy. I guess it doesn't bother
> horses. I'm always extra careful not to let him slobber on me when he has a
> mouthful of it.

Yeah I was unaware of the resistance to Ivy and Oak in the horse's
metabolic lab. That is until some years ago I noted Rebel, on an endurance
ride, chomping down heavy. I just happened to be rinsing off in a stream
and wasn't wearing any gloves at the moment. I stupidly grabbed the
offending plant from his mouth thinking I was doing him a favor. Ahhhhhhh
I only did myself a disfavor. In a big way.

Now another poisonous plant question for you California trail folks.
Saturday my riding partner pointed out a plant and exclaimed, "Look
there's an illegal plant growing right here by the ranger station!" I said
blooey (or something to that effect.) It did look somewhat like it, but
was producing a huge ammount of what seemed to be male pollen producing
flowers over a green long serrated leaf all along a long stem. It was
somewhat interesting so I sniffed it. When the pollen entered my nose it
caused an immediate noxious effect. I would guess a strong alkaloid from
the harse circumstances. I rinsed with available water as soon as it
happened, but it continued to cause discomfort for two days. My nose felt
as though it wanted to blister. What was that plant???? Are horses
allergic to it as well?

####Tommy Crockett, Los Osos, Ca.####
Tomydore@goblin.punk.net###DAMS028%CALPOLY.BITNET@cmsa.berkeley.edu
ask me about my TB mare Flossie or that Arab The Rebel Prince
"I don't wear no Stetson But I'm willing to bet son I'm just a big a
Texan as you are, There's a Girl in her bare feet Asleep in the back
seat, that trunk's full of Pearl Beer and Lone Star" Terry Allen