ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] Limited Distance Awards

Re: [endurance] Limited Distance Awards

Stephanie Teeter (step@sunfish.fsr.com)
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 14:19:43 -0700

> I think the idea of awarding top ten in limited distance based
> on vet scores is great!!! It lets LD still have competition but
> seems to be much more in keeping with the original intent of the
> program. It could help eliminate "flash in the pan" horses.
> And all those folks who just want to do only LD for whatever
> reason can still do so.

> One question - At the ride mentioned, did all 25 mile completers
> have to stand for a BC-type exam or was it voluntary or what?

> Dave Bennett phone: (615) 751-3968 fax: (615) 751-3453 internet:
> idj3q.office@mhs-tva.attmail.com

Yes - We had all of the 25 milers stand for BC judging - our
head vet graciously accepted the extra work load. The final
outcome did differ somewhat from the finish times (based on
reaching pulse criteria). I like the idea for the most part -
but part of me still rebels against the 'judging' aspect of
this. It becomes more like a competetive trail event than
an endurance ride in some respects. We had no complaints though
and many expressed their approval. And all of the riders,
many novices, were exposed to the veterinary criteria used
in judging a horse's 'fitness to continue' . So in this
sense it was educational.

We substituted high vet score for the BC award in this division.

Steph Teeter