ridecamp@endurance.net: [76031.2347@compuserve.com: Vesticular Stomatitis]

[76031.2347@compuserve.com: Vesticular Stomatitis]

Stephanie Teeter (step@fsr.com)
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 12:53:35 +0800

Date: 17 Aug 95 14:17:12 EDT
From: ROBERT MORRIS <76031.2347@compuserve.com>
To: Stephanie Schroeder-Teet <step@sunfish.fsr.com>
Subject: Vesticular Stomatitis

Steph:

This is the latest from Iddaho and I thought it best that you get this posted
for the endurance riders. I headr, no confirmation though, thaty an endurance
ride in Utah had been canceled.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID
VP Idaho Horse Council

August 14, 1995

To: State/Federal Field Staff
Livestock Industry Groups
Livestock Markets
Accredited Veterinarians
State Brand Inspector
Ports of Entry
State Police
Extension Personnel
Indian Tribes
County Sheriffs

>From : Bob HilIman, DVM, State Veterinarian
Subject : Vesicular Stomatitis

Vesicular Stomatitis (VS) has now been diagnosed in Utah. The
case is a horse which is located about 10 miles north of Moab,
Utah. So far, the disease is progressing northward in a pattern
similar to the movement of the disease in 1982/83. In 1982 the
disease was first diagnosed in Idaho on August 27 and apparently
moved into Idaho from Utah.

We are very concerned about the potential movement of VS into
Idaho. Livestock entering Idaho from Utah must now have a permit
for entry and a statement on the Certificate of Veterinary
Inspection that the animals have been examined and found to be
free of VS and VS doesn't exist within 10 miles of the premise of
origin. The Certificate of Veterinary Inspection and permit must
have been issued within 72 hours of movement of the animals into
Idaho.

Our staff will be examining livestock imported from Utah, as well
as from Colorado, New Mexico and Texas (Arizona no longer has any
infected herds). Importers, purchasers and livestock market
operators need to take every precaution with livestock from
affected states. We recommend that livestock from affected states
be carefully examined and, if possible, isolated for at least four
weeks before commingling with native livestock.

We also highly recommend that livestock producers initiate bio-
security measures, sanitary practices and insect controls to help
prevent or lessen the impact of the disease. Contact your
veterinarian or this office for additional information regarding
these practices.

Today USDA released the VS vaccines for use in Idaho.