ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Diane Janssen & Spanish Barbs

Re: Diane Janssen & Spanish Barbs

Lucia Humphrey (laneyh@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 15:33:51 -0700

You wrote:

>Laney
>The Barbs name is Stardust and is trained him as a western performance

>horse. I know very little about endurance but small, short backed
horses
>usually don't cover a lot of ground with each stride. They are also
very
>choppy at the trot; two things which would go against endurance
>potential. I had such a good time with him I did it for free.
>furface@liii.com

David -
Thanks for your reply. You are right - a lot of small, short
backed horses have choppy strides! But virtually all the small, i.e.
14.2h or so, short backed Arabs who are used in endurance have
wonderful long strides, some with amazing overstrides. I guess there
is more to it than size & length of back.
Happy trails!
Laney