ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: AERC Drug Policy (fwd)

RE: AERC Drug Policy (fwd)

LYNN M. Crespo (lynn@alpha.acast.nova.edu)
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 22:35:34 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Greg,

In clarification, the truth is that to date there is no KNOWN toxicity
due to overdoses of the water soluble vitamins, which are vitamin C and
the B complex vitamins.

You are correct that a dehydrated horse in the middle of a race certainly
would have decreased glomerular filtration rate, and therefore decreased
clearance of these vitamins.

The human RDA of vitamin C is 60mg/day. People routinely consume
1 gram/day with no adverse effects. That's 17 times the RDA. I have
even known individuals who want to "cure their cold" who consumed 2-3
grams per day. The most common side effect from these doses is an upset
stomach, and altered pH of the urine ( which in turn could alter the
clearance of other renally excreted drugs).

As for the B complex vitamins, reported adverse side effects are related
to the route of administration. IV administration can result in
anaphylactic allergic reactions. IM injection can also result in local
irritation or local allergic reactions. The other side effects, specific to
niacin, is dilation of the small blood vessels of the skin with a
tingling, itching sensation.

It is conceivable, that if someone administered 100 times the RDA other
more serious side effects could result. You are correct in pointing out
my own examples that even water and oxygen have the potential to be
toxic. Especially if a horse was dehydrated this could pose a serious
problem. The difference between the toxicities of these vitamins versus
the fat soluble vitamins (Vits. A,D,E, and K) is that as soon as the
animal is rehydrated he should begin to eliminate the water soluble
vitamins. In comparison, the fat soluble vitamins are stored in the body
and lead to Irreversible toxicities.

One of the problems is defining the term "megadose". This is a vague
word that does not have a true definition. Is 2x normal a "mega"dose?
I'm afraid this is a current issue in medicine that remains to be resolved.

There probably are people who may believe that administering large doses
of vitamins (especially with the focus on antioxidants) will benefit
their animals, or possibly even themselves. I never meant to give the
impression that this could "do no harm" and I am posting my reply to you
through the discussion group to make that point. There is always a
potential danger from overdosing on ANYTHING. Medical science may just
not know yet what that danger is.

Doses and RDA (recommended daily allowance) are published as guidelines
for the safety of the consumer. I guess because I have studied drugs
and I do adhere to dosing guidelines I find it difficult at times to
understand why someone who is not trained would want to exceed those
guidelines and risk any harm to their animals or themselves.

Thank you for you interest!

Sincerely,
Lynn Crespo
Davie, FL