ridecamp@endurance.net: [Kathy.Myers@SYNTEX.COM: Re: Adequan]

[Kathy.Myers@SYNTEX.COM: Re: Adequan]

Stephanie Teeter (step@sunfish.fsr.com)
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 17:26:09 +0800

---------------------------------
From: Kathy Myers x3004 <Kathy.Myers@SYNTEX.COM>
Subject: Re: Adequan
*****
Steph: Please post this reply for me. I can't stand
keeping quiet!

Thanks! :) - kat
******

[snip!]
>As a pharmacologist, I am far more skeptical about the oral

>polysulfated gylcosaminoglycan products (Cosequin, Flex
>Free). These are not drugs - they call them
>"nutriceuticals". They are feed additives, therefore they
>don't have to meet any kind of scientific testing for
>efficacy. If you look at their literature, they only claim
>that they provide the "building blocks" needed to repair
>damaged joints - but no proof that they actually ever reach

>the joints (on the other hand, they've radioactively
labeled
> Adequan and demonstrated its uptake into joint cartilage).

>Some people feed them and feel like their horse improves -
>but that it very difficult to prove scientifically. They
>certainly are not harmful, so if someone wants to spend
>their money, I don't discourage them.
>
>If you think it's expensive in the States - these products
>are about 5 times more expensive in Canada!
>
>Trisha Dowling, DVM, MS
>Diplomat ACVIM, ACVCP
>Associate Professor of Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology
>Western College of Veterinary Medicine
>Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Look, people... Flex Free WORKS! At least on my
horse. It's worth a try for your joint problems. It runs
about $20.00 US a month per horse.

For those of you who have not heard the Rascal
Story, here it is again. Last November my old
guy (Rascal) was dead lame at the walk. I called
out the vet who has known this horse for over 11
years. He just has arthritis. We ran blood tests
a couple weeks ago... he MAY also have Lupis.
ANYWAYS, he got an IV injection of (sp???)
"haluronic acid" which is kind of like Adequan.
Then, I put him on a daily dose of Flex Free.
We skipped the recommended second IV injection
a week later 'cuz they cost about $80.00 each.

Rascal was sound... SOUND! within 3 days and
has been ever since. Poor old guy is just full
of arthritis in every joint. The vet did 2 flexion
tests and then neither of us could stand to do
any more. :(

Flex Free WORKS and is amazing stuff... at least
for this old (27 years) former Endurance guy who
looks to be 1/2 Arab.

If you are thinking of trying it, I would give it
a shot... ooooo... pun alert!

:) - kat
kathy.myers@syntex.com in Palo Alto, CA
...and Magnum the TB ex-race horse who
just finished his first 30 like the champ he is!