ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Adequan Therapy

Re: Adequan Therapy

Stephanie Teeter (step@sunfish.fsr.com)
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 11:32:41 +0800

> I was wondering if anyone has had positive results with this
> type of therapy. I have a Morgan gelding (9 years old) who I
> have been competing with since he was five. He has always had
> an inconsistent lameness problem, but it had gotten to the point
> where I couldn't even start rides.

I have a 15 yr. old gelding who experienced enlargement of one of
his fetlocks. In a two week period last summer the fetlock joint
became noticably larger. No lameness, heat or puffiness - just larger and
hard. X-rays were clean. He has had a history of intermittent lameness-
never successfully diagonosed, but his front leg fetlock/foot conformation
is not perfect so I always suspected joint problems.

I put him on Adeqaun - mostly because I figured if there
was anything I could do it would be rest and Adequan. We did both.
He did 2 50's at the end of the year, I've been riding him lightly
this year and we've done 1 slow 50. Seems to be no problem with
his joints at present. I certainly can't say what if anything the
Adequan did - but I suspect if we had continued with 100's he
would have developed more problems regardless of the Adequan.

I would think that if there is an inherent joint problem and
irregular cartilage wear, you'd be best off reducing the
competitions. I don't think its that much of a miracle drug!

Steph
Stephanie Schroeder-Teeter
Rt. 1 Box 27A Princeton, ID 83857
First Step Research - "http://www.fsr.com/"
** new Endurance Riders Home Page location:**
"http://www.fsr.com/National/endurance/"