ridecamp@endurance.net: Fwd: Trailering Friends

Fwd: Trailering Friends

CMikeT@aol.com
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 10:41:59 -0400

Leslie,

Do your best to keep the trailering between friends and not as an economic
item. In my opinion, the trailer owner never will get reimbursed fully for
all spent in the interest of the trailer.

40c / mile may be a great number when you are corporate, but when you figure
out the hours spent on upkeep of the trailer and the truck, the parts and
materials for repairs caused by the horses, the repainting necessitated by
one you hauled for a freind that pawed or chewed, replacement of the side pad
because the horse decided to take it with him when he raced out, etc.

Other things oft forgotten are the depreciation, road fees, insurance,
liability, stress of having someone else's horses in your care, etc.

On the issue of liability/insurance, watch out if money is accepted and this
becomes (at least in someone's mind) a business. Some insurance agents may
take this to the extreme and nullify your homeowner's or private auto
coverage. Unlikely, but if things get ugly, who knows.

It is always better for the one's bumming the ride to just buy the trailer
owner a few meals, maybe lodging, and slip them some cash if appropriate.
Try to get away from getting nit-picking over each mile for there are few
ways to ruin a friendship quicker than squabbling over petty cash. The
trailer owners need to offer out of friendship and the trailerless need to
reimburse out of gratitude.

Now I shall step off my soap box.

Mike

C. Mike Tomlinson, DVM