Subject: Trailering Friends
Author: Murgnme2@aol.com at CCMAIL
Date: 6/27/95 11:36 PM

I've been riding with the same group of friends for over two years. Some of
us have trailers and some don't. We all went to dinner a few months ago and
agreed that the driver would be paid $ .40 / mile and that would be divided
by the number of horses. Lately, we've been having some difference of
opinions on what is "fair". A couple of my friends-- one has a stock
trailer, one has a 3 horse slant--have recently decided that they want out of
the split. For example, if they haul 2 other horses, besides their own, the
owners of the other two horses would each pay the driver $ .20 / mile. The
driver pays nothing. It seems like no matter how we figure it, someone is
unhappy. I'm upset that our friendships are being jepoardized by financial
matters. I'd like to hear from some others, on how you handle the matter of
hauling other people in your trailer. I used to simply charge the person I
hauled 1/2 of the actual cost of the gas. Then, we all went to the mileage
thing, to be consistent amongst each other, and to get reimbursed for some of
the wear and tear on the truck and trailer. I could really use some input
here, and thanks, in advance!!

Leslie