ridecamp@endurance.net: Fwd: Electrolyte question

Fwd: Electrolyte question

CMikeT@aol.com
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 11:42:59 -0400

Lois,

It sounds like you are currently doing everything just right.

It is _IMPOSSIBLE_ to replace all the salt which your horse sweats out during
a ride. He can lose a cup or more of salt during a ride. You cannot feed
him that much in that short a time; his body cannot absorb and distribute it
that quickly.

What we try to do by giving electrolytes pre/during/post ride is to give as
much as the horse can assimilate. A few years back, when electrolyting first
came into vogue, I saw more horses "pickled" by too much salt than I had ever
seen in trouble from too little salt. Luckily, the pendulum has centered a
little and most everybody is using electrolytes responsibly, such as you
describe you are.

Most horses remain dehydrated for days after a ride. During this rehydration
period they also need salt to balance out this additional water intake. It
is very normal for some horses to begin chewing on the salt block for a few
days after a ride. This in no way means you inadequately electrolyted during
the ride. You _might_ try increasing your amount in small increments, but
not necessarily.

Keep in mind that some horses can withstand, and may need, a lot of salt
during a ride, others cannot withstand any. To start with, ask your friends
what works for them. Then work with _your_ horse and learn what works best
for you.

Mike

C. Mike Tomlinson, DVM
Tomlinson Consortium