ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Packs/weight distribution

Re: Packs/weight distribution

Stephanie Teeter (step@sunfish.fsr.com)
Mon, 12 Jun 1995 18:26:31 +0800

> I'd like some feedback regarding water bottles and packs, and
> where to place them on the horse or myself.

> My current tack is a Passier dressage saddle that does *not*
> have any rings in back by the cantle, a biothane breast collar
> and regular saddle pad. I hook and tie a lead rope to the left
> ring of the breast collar up by the pommel.

> I'm not sure I want to carry water bottles or pommel packs up on
> my mare's withers/shoulders. She is very fine coated, and it
> might rub hair off and even cause sores. I've looked at some
> cantle bags that are like western saddlebags with a "banana" bag
> behind the cantle, and it has straps that go around the billett
> straps. I also like the looks of the "lumbar" packs, sort of a
> larger version of the fanny pack, that attach to the rider. REI
> carries a couple sizes that also come with 2 water bottles that
> are carried on either side in their own pockets. I'm not sure if
> it would interfere with the cantle. The bottles are far enough
> back that my arms will be free at my sides. I was also thinking
> that this pack might be a good support for my lower back which
> sometimes is easily fatigued. I don't want a standard pack with
> straps over the shoulders. I think the lumbar pack might also be
> beneficial to the weight distribution/horse's center of gravity.

> And as a further aside, mice have nibbled on my cotton web
> reins, so I'm looking at options there. I'm tending towards rope
> reins - any comments regarding McPhail's Yacht reins carried by
> EnduroTrail? Specifically, gripping power for braking. I've
> handled reins with the double nubby rubber, and I think it might
> be too rough on bare hands (gloves?) and wonder if sunlight
> dries the rubber out and cracks it.

> Thanks for your help, especially on topics that are "well
> worn". If anyone wants me to post the info or privately e-mail,
> let me know thru private e-mail.

> Debbie Higgins, Seattle, WA Sunrise Marisa, Arab/Welsh Tiffany,
> Shetland pony Joey, Samoyed dog

Deb - I have a cutback endurance saddle (Orthoflex) which is basically
english style. I purchased a Slimline pommel pack this winter and
have been very happy with it. It is fleece backed, and doesn't seem
to rub or bother the horse's withers at all - that was my
initial concern. It has two zippered water bottle pockets on either
side which are quite handy, and I don't loose as many water bottles
as I use to! I used to use a 'lumbar' fanny pack, and it did
provide nice back support, but got very hot and sweaty on long
hot rides. Plus I couldn't seem to keep from losing water
bottles. If you just want watter bottle holders, Sportack makes
a great neoprene holder with a snap and strap which hold it very
snug against the front of the saddle - its the best non-pack
bottle holder I've found. The cantle packs can be a bit
akward for items such as water which you want to access frequently
during the day. ...so many choices.

Steph

Stephanie Schroeder-Teeter
Rt. 1 Box 27A Princeton, ID 83857