ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: (Linda) Colic comments

Re: (Linda) Colic comments

Katja Laeubin (cgkxl@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu)
Thu, 25 May 1995 13:32:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 May 1995, CABER.CATHLEEN wrote:

> Cathy wrote:
>
> PS (I don't feed corn either, don't trust the local sellers to really
> know what's best for *horses*, they know lots about cows and
> think horses are the same I guess. But it's too risky and Dare
> doesn't need it. Also I think you're wise to limit pasture, that
> green stuff can be dangerous too).
>
> Cathy Caber in PA Please feel free to ask for more honest opinions !
> cmc3@psuadmin.psu.edu

Cathy,

what is wrong about corn? I do use it to get some "speck", meaning some
weight on a young horses ribs. They tend to loose some weight when you
first start out to ride them. I feed it in addition to the oats. The good
thing about corn is, that the horse doesn't -as we say- "feel the oats",
meaning that you have got one spooky, bucking horse would you feed the same
amount of additional oats.
Of course I am talking about dry, crimped corn, not the silo stuff (that
of course would make about every horse sick).

I have made good experiences - at least for my young horses

Katja Laeubin, Germany