ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: breeds compete - Hoof Help!

Re: breeds compete - Hoof Help!

Linda Cowles @ PCB x5624 (lindac@wv.MENTORG.COM)
Mon, 22 May 95 08:19:25 -0700

On May 15, 8:48am, Truman Prevatt wrote:
> Subject: Re: breeds compete - Hoof Help!
> Ever think of using Easy Boots until new hoof grows in and the horse gets
> better conditioned and better balanced?
> (snip)
>-- End of excerpt from Truman Prevatt

Hi Folks

Yeah, I thought about it, but this mare's 2 big shoeing problems.
The first is weakened hoof wall because of all of the dry/wet cycles
that we've gone through here in California; I've got her on biotin
suppliments plus Dynamite viatmins for that. The second is that
she's got legs that reach from the ground to the sky, and she get's
them in a bit of a tangle occasionally! She can pull an EasyBoot
easier than a shoe, because they hang out the back.

I plan to keep her confined for another two weeks to keep the easy
boot that she has on now in place, and allow that hoofwall to grow
out a bit. Then we are going to really roll the front and back toes
and fit the shoes close to her hoof for the next shoeing or two. I
prefer to leave room to let the foot expand, but I obviously can't
have everything. And hopefully we can stay out of the mud, which slows
her breakover just enough to let her snag her shoes. And keep her
in bell boots, and use Tuff Stuff... and....cross my fingers! ;^)

If that doesn't work, I may try either "spiking" or "spooning" the
shoe heels (turning them up in back so that they have less chance
of getting caught) or may try glue-ons. Or may see if I can get Kathy
Meyers shoer to do some of his fabulous bondo work on her!!!

Cam is trying hard to convince me that she is fit and ready for the
next big ride, in spite of having a month off! She does a nice canter
pirotte (sp?) in her 12x24 paddock, and does amazingly fast laps in the
40x40 "mini-field" that she has access to. And throws fits when anyone
else gets to go out. I hope this next shoing gets us going again!

Meanwhile, I'm riding Shatirr, hoping that riding with his good training
buddy Porter (Stacey Barger's wonderfully competitive gelding) will
keep his competitive juices flowing on the upcoming Diablo ride. And
I'm also starting to ride a horse for another friend who's unable to ride
to get it ready for sale. I may end up doing an easy ride on her if she
doesn't sell fast. Karajorge grandaughter, really nice horse. Her sister
has done several Tevis completions easily. I hope I don't fall in love!

Maybe tons of riding will make up for the frustration of not conditioning
the horse that I really want to compete on!

Later! - Linda