Another truck question

We are looking into another truck and have been looking at
the chevy 2500 duramax deisel crew cab with an automatic
allison transmission. Anyone out there have one that they
have used for hauling?  Wondering how they are for power
with a load, about acceleration (the test drive we did seem
sluggish compared to our ford 259 deisel) and how are the
automatic transmissions holding up?  Sure don't want to
make a mistake as expensive as they are.
Thanks
Judy