RE: [RC] behavior and exersice levels

I have a 10 year old mare that shows the same behavior.  When I start riding
in the spring, she is spooky and nervous on the trail.  After a couple
months she's a natural lead horse (except for a few of her basic fears!).
Last summer I got hurt and didn't ride for about a month.  It was almost
like she was starting over, although she recovered much quicker.

She is currently on a diet - and I am feeding her grass while the others are
getting alfalfa/grass mix - so she is locked in a 36x36 run for all but
about 6 hours a day.  She is clearly getting more jumpy.

I don't know if it's an energy release or if it's just being kept from those
scary things and forgetting that she can handle them.

I don't have a solution at this point - obviously your horse has a bigger
reaction than my mare - she shies, but she shies in place.  My biggest worry
is going over her head when she stops, but my new saddle has helped
immensely with that.  Since my mom lives next door, I plan on having her
longe her occasionally or turn out in the arena at least for a while.

Marlene