Locking Stifles

Title: Locking Stifles

I spent $65 for a diagnosis from one of the most respected lameness vets in our area.   He just told me to keep him conditioned (which is what you are supposed to do for an endurance horse anyway, huh?)  I haven’t spent a nickel to the vets more for this particular condtiion.

He actually locked up a couple of times during the multi-day I was on and I had to work hard to convince him to slow down to work himself out of it.  We ended up finishing real nicely the last two days.

I have the most problems with the stifle after Beau is on a layover period.  Usually the first couple of months in spring I have to go through a whole bodyshop sequence to get him functioning well again.

My left knee is missing the ACL ligament.  Keeping the surrounding muscles toned is key to the stability of my left knee which it seems that just by riding I get enough to keep the muscle tone up.  Same thing with Beau’s stifle.  By proper conditioning, a lot of trots uphill, and over cavaletti, he is able to stabilize his stifle.

This has been my experience.  Sounds like your horse has a more complicated deal going.  I’d be interested in knowing more about what you’ve done for this condition, not that I can comment any more, just curious.

K.