My BOD Motion re NC Qualifications

In a message dated 2/25/02 9:33:54 PM, steph@endurance.net writes:

<< This motion came from an individual. Personally I think it is John's way of
throwing up his hands, and a poorly composed motion.  >>

Oh Steph,

Accuse me of delusional thinking, perfidy or corruption, but don't criticize
my compositional skills!  The motion is in fact very carefully worded for
what I want to accomplish.  Let's think it through together.  But first let
me relate a little background.

There was a conceptual tension behind the AERC National Championship Ride
when it was established for 1999.   Most people wanted a prestige event like
the ROC and hoped that the NC would replace the ROC, which was unraveling at
the time.   But others realized it was a new ride and would have a hard time
attracting entrants, especially with ROC style qualifications.  Accordingly,
the first ride did have some qualifications (top ten finish in your weight
division at a regional qualifying ride) but they were relatively easy to
meet.  The main problem was making sure you got an entry to your region's
qualifier.

Some people may remember a series of semi-humorous posts I sent to ridecamp
and Randy Eiland about this.  I pointed out that even Trilby and I could
qualify in the 100 and that the potential number of entrants, a thousand or
so, would exceed the number of people who have passed through Timberon, the
ride location, this century.  I did in fact qualify and ride my pony
Remington to a third place middleweight finish in the NC 100.  Although it
remains the only race we have ever top tenned where there were more than ten
horses entered, we also came in last.  That should speak volumes about how
"hard" the NC qualifications were at the start.  (I'm still cranky that '99
was the one year the NC didn't count for regional point purposes because it
cost me the 1st MW placement in my region.)  Most of the top horses in the
country went to the Pan Ams instead.

The second year the NC qualifications were diluted further.  Top five in your
weight division seemed tougher, but you could do it in any ride in your
region.  NC entry numbers went up but were still relatively modest.  A lot of
fine horses showed up but it was hardly a collection of the top talent in the
country.

The qualifications for last year's ride were changed but weren't exactly
rigorous.  The ride itself was a resounding success, however, by all reports.
 There were a large number of entrants.  The mixture of weather and terrain
made for a tough ride.  Some relatively inexperienced horses did very well.
The large group of top vets kept things under control so there were few horse
injuries.  Ride management provided a great party and people who attended
said they had a wonderful time.  The whole ride was a credit to ride
management and to the region.

So what about this year's ride? It will be held in the same place by the same
people.
Ne'ertheless, the BOD saw fit to tinker with the qualifications yet again at
our midyear board meeting in November in Phoenix.  I have sat on many
non-profit boards for decades.  This was one of the most profoundly
embarassing attempts at board deliberation I have witnessed.  The responsible
committee abdicated its leadership role to another board member who then
presented a series of ill conceived, inconsistent, and ambiguous
recommendations which the board then chewed on for nearly four hours in three
sessions.  We wasted our time on a subject which should have been fully
explored in committee if brought up at all.  A couple of us got involved in
the debate for the sole purpose of bringing some clarification to the wording
under discussion and for bringing the interminable debate to a close.  When
we finally had a chance to move on to something else, we wound up conducting
our voting on the wholesale revision of our bylaws, the governing document
for this organization, after midnight.

As soon as we returned home, the debate really started.  No, I'm not
referring to debate among the members but to debate among the directors who
had just finished meeting with each other.  Turns out no one had consulted
the ride manager about the new qualifications.  Turns out people were
concerned that the qualification period had started in mid-August when the
2001 NC was held but that folks wouldn't learn until five or six months later
of the changes we made in November.  By beating the subject to death after
the meeting, we made the notice problem worse because EN staff decided not to
run anything explaining the new qualifications until the BOD made up its
mind.  A straw vote of directors after the meeting showed that most wanted to
Reno.  So, in a few days we will be once again deciding the qualifications
for a ride which takes place in approximately six months.  Riders are
wondering how they qualify.  I am sure ride management is wondering why it
has worked so hard to promote, finance, and prepare a first class ride when
the AERC BOD keeps changing the qualifications.  How many riders will show up
this time?

Meanwhile a debate has raged on this list over the NC qualifications for
months now.  As a director I am well aware of many people's positions.  If
posts are votes, then my friend Bob Morris has really stuffed the ballot box.
 As earnest as the discussion has been,  I don't think it has been very
conclusive.  Whether you call it tweedledum or tweedledee, or simply dumb and
dumber, the new qualifications are not very different from the old ones.

Like the slightly different qualifications from each of the past years, they
are still easy to meet.  To give an extreme example, one of my ponies
qualified for the 1,000 mile lifetime alternative in just thirty days this
summer.  We are still a long ways from anything approaching the sort of
qualifications where you say that the qualifying team has really done
something special to belong in a one day determination of the AERC's fastest
horse and rider over 100 or 50 miles.  (The question of whether an AERC
champion should even be the fastest horse and rider in just one ride, however
I would answer it, has already been decided by the BOD's election to
establish a one day NC ride.)

The philosophical tension between the goals of impressive qualilfications and
building up entry numbers remains.   The debate over qualifications will
become strictly academic if the ride dies for lack of interest, especially
after it proceeds to a new region and new management next year.  There are
good arguments for both sides of the debate but they won't be reconciled this
year.  It's just too late.

Moving on to my motion, it is intended to achieve a quick resolution to the
NC qualification issue for this year and this year alone.  That's why it says
to abolish the NC qualilfications imposed by the AERC "for this year."  I
don't want to see another multiple hour debate distracting the board from
other important issues at this board meeting.  Whatever the board does in
Reno will not settle the argument and is unlikely to cure the problem of
inadequate notice to potential entrants.

It is also important to understand that my motion refers expressly only to
abolition of the NC qualifications imposed by the AERC.  It does not require
abolition of NC qualifications imposed by ride management itself.  The ride
manager, Connie Caudill, is an experienced 100 miler and is a new member of
the board.  I have come to appreciate her intellect and ability to carefully
weigh both sides of an issue as a member of the Protest and Grievance
Committee which I chair.  Since her neck will be out, so to speak, in putting
on a successful ride in just a few months, I will rely on her to set the
qualifications she thinks will work on such short notice.  I expect she will
simply keep the old qualifications in force.  Not much of a shock, huh?  But
even if she decides to have no qualifications at all this year, it will not
be the end of the world.  The fastest horses that day will still win,  as
respected veterinarians Jim Baldwin and Dane Frazier, have pointed out.  They
and other vets like them will be there to watch out for inexperienced riders
who don't know any better and  experienced riders who should.

The point is that the BOD will simply leave the issue alone for this year's
ride and rely on ride management's judgment for this year alone.  Ride
management could not possibly do any worse than the BOD in figuring out what
do for this year.  Aside from the benefits to the ride and potential entrants
of leaving the BOD out it this year, we need to think of the benefits to the
BOD and AERC of ending this debate quickly and once and for all for this
year.  The BOD can spend a few minutes on this issue in Reno instead of a few
hours.  I am very much afraid that if the BOD starts to discuss what the
qualifications should be again in Reno, the debate will not focus on how to
salvage this year but will be another free for all with no focus at all.  We
really do have other things to do.

Since my motion does not resolve whatto do in the future, we should refer the
matter to the Competitions Committee for full exploration of all sides and
the presentation to the board of carefully considered alternatives and
recommendations.   After an appropriate report of the Committee to guide the
discussion, the BOD can then take the time to deliberate on what direction
the ride should take and what the qualifications should be for 2003 when new
management takes over.  We can even elicit the thoughts of the new management
when the BOD considers what to do in 2003.  Heaven forbid, we can even
consider the thoughts of our members, especially now that they will have the
time to think about how to balance the twin goals of growth and prestige for
the NC.  If we are patient I think we can come up with a way for the two
goals to coincide.

For now, let's drop the issue for 2002 so we don't screw up a ride which may
not be the ultimate, ideal NC but is still a pretty nice try.  Ridecampers
who disagree with me probably don't need to worry very much, since I don't
think the majority of the BOD will vote for my motion.  For Steph or any other
 directors who think they might agree with what I want to accomplish, please
feel welcome to compose something which says it better.

John Parke
PSW Regional Director