horse for natrc

patti  gene@dreamsoft.com
I bought an 11 year old, 13.2 (1/2) hand, 1/2 arab for my daughter
recently and after I BOUGHT her someone gave me a mare! My daughter has
shown interest in jumping and that is what this second mare does.She has
been having a blast on her, she is not spooky on the trail but a little
jiggy but otherwise pretty good. Now I can't keep this other mare.I think
the mare I bought would be a good NATRC horse, she is so comfortable on
the trail, that is where she relaxes and she has a good walk (for a little
girl) I would feel at ease putting just about anyone on her on the trail.
She seems to have been gamed to death and therefore has very responsive
sides.She needs a rider with soft hands and if the rider is very subtle
with the leg aids she is ok, but a little to hard and she GOES,that is
good for a calm rider with experience or one that is willing to learn
fast. For a rider that angers easily or is rough- NOT A GOOD MATCH- I
would not say she should go back to gymkhana games, she feels like she
needs to be told it is ok to be slow and not pushed to go fast, whatever
she is doing she wants to please. She has endurance, good feet and legs,
sure footed and brave but needs to be conditioned for NATRC of course. She
is a good size for small rider, JR. or adult. I am 5' 8"  and about 145#
my legs are way to long for her and I feel to big on her, but she hauls my
butt like it's nothing.If my 10 year old daughter showed interest in
sitting in the saddle for 6 hours or more in the cold or heat and taking
care of her horse for two to three days while camping I would chose to
keep this horse due to her bravery, but she wants to run and  jump, this
would not be good for this mare.I want her to go to a good home ( Of
course) and I would like to get out what I have into her. If anyone is
looking for a Novice horse to begin with she is a good one. If it makes a
difference she is a dark bay.