Fw: [EquineCushings] URGENT Nutraceuticals - part 2

Part 2. Author has given permission to cross post to any other lists deemed appropriate.

Jeanne

----- Original Message -----
From: valine20
To: EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 1:44 PM
Subject: [EquineCushings] URGENT - part 2

Below is another cross posting but since this morning when I posted
it first I have something to add.  Just learned within the last hour
that a bill has already been drafted by a congresswoman from
California to do exactly what we need to do to get the equine
products protected. I'm waiting for details on that now.  If it's
true, the job of protecting our supplements will be MUCH easier.
With a bill already in place, all that remains is to mobilize people
to contact the American Horse Council for their support, contact your
senators and congressmen/women to support the specific bill and in
the meantime also let the FDA and your state governors, state
senators and congressmen/women and state agriculture departments know
you do not want any action taken to remove these products from the
market.  Nothing puts the fear of god into, or motivates, an elected
official like the prospect of losing, or gaining, votes.  The FDA is
also very sensitive to public opinion.  We can do this. Horse owners
are 7.1 million strong and as long as we go about it in the right
way, presenting ourselves as responsible and concerned citizens, this
should be a no-brainer vote.  OK.  Here's the other post.  Remember
though that as soon as I get some solid information on the CA
congresswoman and hopefully details of the bill and the bill number,
will be inserting that into the letters as "support house bill
#......".

> First, a list of things NOT to do:
>
> - Do not be strident
> - Do not express outrage
> - Do not align your letter with any group or cause that is not
> directly related to the issue in question
> - Do not make references to plots, corporate interests or the like
>
> The reason for these "nots" is to drive the message, and the
> proposed solution, home to those in power in as clear and as least
> controversial manner as possible. Let the opposition get emotional
> and disorganized. We want to present a simple position, with a
simple
> solution, in a very sane manner.
>
> I would propose the following letter:
>
> Dear .....
>
> There are currently an estimated 6.9 million horses in the United
> States, in an industry that involves 7.1 million Americans and has
an
> impact of $112.1 billion on the U.S. gross domestic product. (If
you
> can dig up statistics of any sort for the horse industry in your
> state, insert them here as well.)
>
> As a horse owner (or trainer, veterinarian, etc.) myself I would
like
> to express concern over the possibility that nutritional
supplements
> I, and others involved in the care of horses, have come to rely
upon
> may become unavailable due to technicalities in assigning them
status
> as feed ingredients versus drugs.  I am talking about the very same
> nutraceuticals and herbal supplements that are legal for sale for
> human consumption under the Dietary Supplements Health and
Education
> Act (DSHEA) signed into law in 1994.  I would like to see the same
> right to buy and use these products that already exists for people
> extended to our horses.  I strongly object to movements currently
> afoot to ban the sale of nutraceuticals/functional foods and herbs
> for use in horses.  I support the inclusion of the same label
> precaution, "Not for use in horses intended for food", as already
> exists on commonly used OTC and prescription products, as adequate
> protection against any ingredient inadvertently entering the human
> food chain.  I encourage you to support efforts to expand the scope
> of DSHEA to include horses.
>
> Sincerely,
> xxxxxxx
>
> cc:
>
> =====================
>

> This letter is designed to target your state and federal
legislators
> the heaviest but can also be used to make your feelings known to
your
> governor, your state feed control officials and the FDA.  No point
in
> targeting AAFCO's officials per se; you'll be sending to the
> individual member in your state.  Be sure to send one to the AHC -
> the American Horse Council.  This is the lobbying body in
Washington
> to protect the interests of horse owners.  I was told by John
> Breitsman yesterday (Breitsman is the president of AAFCO) that they
> have already received a call from the AHC, which means the Horse
> Journal article is starting to generate some action.  Let's keep
the
> ball rolling.  Convince the AHC that we need them and things will
> start to happen.  Convince your governor and state and federal
> officials that you are watching (and your vote hangs in the
balance)
> and things will start to happen.  The FDA cannot change its
position
> on the legality of these supplements since they are bound by
existing
> laws but they are very sensitive to public opinion.  Express your
> displeasure at the idea that sales would be banned.
>
> Send your letters by e-mail, fax, ground mail (preferably certified
> or priority for high visibility) any way you like but send them and
> be sure to give a complete list of all parties you are sending it
> under your cc: at the bottom.
>
> Contacts:
> Use the AAFCO membership list at www.aafco.org to find the feed
> control official in your state
> Use your phone book to get contact information for the Department
of
> Agriculture in general
> Find your state's web site for contact information for the governor
> (Tip:  Go into the Yahoo search engine and enter the search:
+"State
> of XXX" +"official website")
> The web site for the AHC is www.horsecouncil.com.  If you click on
> their "Join AHC" button, at the bottom of that page is an address
and
> a fax number.
> Also on the AHC web site is some very good advice and solid
> guidelines to follow when contacting legislators.  Click on the
> button that says "Contacting your elected officials".  Under the
> "Related links" option on the AHC website you will find breed
> registries and associations that are also AHC members.  Contact at
> least the ones that apply to you directly but it wouldn't hurt to
> contact them all and while you're at it hit the AAEP and the
American