slaughter school paper

I am forwarding this from another list at the author's request.  Worth reading.
Katee

Hello!
  This may be an interesting topic. My daughter is doing a college paper on
horse slaughter. She goes to Kent (tusc. campus). It is for an honors
English course.  Her Professor suggested that she use this topic after an in
class discussion revealed that most of these young people do not believe
that horses are slaughtered for human consumption in or any where near the
USA. They believe that old and "used up" (?) horses are sent to humane
places for dog food. (would like info on this also.)
  We are about 15 miles from Sugarcreek.
Anyway after the total denial from most people and realizing that  awareness
is the first step to any change, she is seeking information on this
industry. We have good sites on Ohio laws, Penna. Laws. for humane animal
treatment.  Ohio is sadly lacking.
  She is
trying to focus on the brutality that is legally allowed. i.e. one
requirement for human consumption of horse meat is that the horse must be
"bled out". The best way to ensure bleeding out is to have the living horses
heart pump the blood out.
  That is as graphic as I will get on this subject on this list.
  She is trying to present the facts. Too many horses,  Irresponsible
breeding, what do we do with TB's and STB's, Sugarcreek and such like
 sales, Big business, lack of adequate laws, lots of $$$.
  And maybe most importantly, What Can we do to make this situation better.
How to pass laws, what laws to pass.
  If you are or have been or heck just want to throw out your opinion,
Please  send info to:  lindon@tusco.net

  All help is appreciated. If you wish to have credit given please   include
source. On line sources are fine.
  Who knows where this will go. The more Facts the better!  She figures  if
she can just change just one mind....  or change one law...
  Thanks to you all in advance.
  This can be a very volatile issue so please respond privately.
  Please feel free to pass this request on to whomever you see fit.
    Sher  (and Val)
Sherry Lindon   Ohio
e-mail: lindon@tusco.net