Re: RC: Gu/PowerGel

Can you subsist on GU for an entire ride?  Absolutely!  Humans race
off-road on mountain bikes much the same as endurance racing for fixed
periods of 12-24 hours.  I raced 2 of these events, 2nd in both.  I was
able to subsist very well on GU (maltodextrin) and a fluid/electrolyte
drink covering 100 miles off road in 12 hours.  The best all time 24 hour
racer, John Stamstead, worked closely with developing the product, and I
did some product testing in a study of 6 athletes.

The key is finding one of these products you like: some like citrus
flavors, vanilla, chocalate, etc., like any food preference. If you consume
more than 3/hour you run the risk of gastrointestinal problems (humans
don't colic, but we can still have severe cramping, bloating, and
"expulsion" from both ends!).  One cauttion might be for people who are
insulin resistant or borderline type II diabetics.  Then a bar that mixes
fat, protein, and CHO, might be a better choice.

Prof. Linderman