Re: RC: Ramp vs Step

Terry...

First, you shouldn't buy a trailer based on what your horse "likes or
doesn't like". You can teach a horse to load on anything. In fact, you
SHOULD do this.  What if your horse is injured somewhere, your trailer
is broken, etc. You may HAVE to load on all kinds of things in an
emergency.  I "practiced" with my horse Sunny on all kinds of trailers,
with ramps, without ramps, etc. I also practiced with the trailer
uphill, downhill, leaning left or right. What if you have an accident
and the trailer is in the ditch? (I haven't tried it, but I think he
would hop into the back of my pickup) <grin> But training is another
issue....

That said, I have owned both a ramp and no ramp.  IMHO, forget the ramp
unless you are a show person and unload in a "nice" area all the time.
You can't put the ramp down in an uneven area. This complicates getting
your horse off in an emergency. You should always BACK your horse off a
trailer, not lead off. (Unless maybe it's a open stock trailer with no
stalls...even then, I would teach it) You can buy all kinds of trailers
with ramps, by the way. You might want to look around a little more and
talk to some more dealers.

In addition, the springs tend to get weak or break on ramps, and it's
one more thing you have to maintain. As to horses sliding under the
trailer, I'm sure it's happened, but I've never seen it.  Biggest chance
of this happening be on something slick like pavement, but normally you
would not unload there. (Teaching your horse not to rush off the trailer
also prevents this)

I owned one trailer with a ramp...no more.  Just a pain. Good luck!

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic

--
Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm