Re: foot angles & conformation

Abby said :
>>That means setting the shoe back under the foot, allowing plenty of room
on the surface of the shoe for hoof expansion, and shoeing to the angle
of the pastern.>>

How much would you set the shoe back and would you have the same overhang all around the foot?  My farrier - sorta new, the best I've used so far - says to set the shoe back on the back feet to sort out forging and overreaching, not square the toes on the back.  Must still ask him by how much, though.

Karen said :
>>The pastern angle changes according to how the hoof is
trimmed.>>

In my own sort of logic, I always thought that is how it would happen.  If you changed the hoof angle, the pastern would follow.  That logic was proven by the TBs who had those long toes and no heels - the pasterns matched.

Lots to chat to my farrier about next time he comes out.

Cheers
Kristene