Lone Raven Ridge (my first 50!)

Since there haven't been many ride stories lately (c'mon folks, I love
reading them!), and since I'm *still* excited about completing my first 50
<G>, I'll take a few minutes to tell y'all about the Lone Raven Ridge ride,
held Feb. 16th in west Texas.  This was actually supposed to be my second 50,
but my horse decided to forget all of the work I've done with him on his "ear
phobia", and completely wigged out when I tried to bridle him at Frigid Digit
in January...I missed the start of the 50, but ride management graciously let
me switch to the LD.

Anyhow, my husband and I loaded up my 16 yr old unregistered Arab gelding, HK
Chivas, and headed to the Lone Raven Ridge ride the morning of Friday, Feb.
15th.  I was a little apprehensive at trying a fairly rugged ride for our
first 50, but figured I'd take it one loop at a time and see how it went.
Chivas had done a few 50s back in 1998, I think it was, then enjoyed life as
a pasture potato until I bought him about a year and a half ago.  Between the
proverbial saddle fit problems and my crazy work schedule, it's taken us a
while to get to this point, but I felt like we were finally ready to move up.
 I was jazzed!

We got to the ride, and parked near Marilyn Weise from San Angelo and Cressy
Drummond from Angleton.  I'd met Marilyn at the starting line of the first LD
we both did in 1999.  She'd done her first 50 just 6 weeks ago...this would
be her second.  Cressy has been doing 50s for, what, a couple of years now?
My very patient husband, Ross, was along to crew and try to make sure I drink
water...oh, and to help foam on easy boots!  <G>  We got everything set up,
then tackled the boots.  Didn't foam the back ones on - I know they won't
come off.  I'd foamed the fronts on at a rocky ride last fall, but didn't use
enough foam, and lost one.  I resolved to use more this time.  I mixed the
first batch and poured it in the boot.  As Ross put that boot on the horse, I
mixed up the second batch, and he applied that boot.  In no time, the stuff
was emerging out of the tops, backs, etc. of the boots.  As he frantically
scraped off the excess, I told him to be sure and keep it off the heel
strap...he said, "forget the $%#& heel strap, I'll be lucky to stop it at his
knees!"  <G>  Fortunately I'd applied vaseline around the coronary band and
heel bulbs (thanks to Karen Chaton's instruction page).  I think I need to
use a little less foam next time...

Chivas vetted in with all As.  The ride meeting and dinner were at the Lone
Raven hunt club lodge, on a ridge about 4-5 miles from camp.  Some folks
unhooked their trucks and drove up there, but a bunch of us piled on a
flatbed trailer with haybales for seating for a far more fun trip.  :)  The
lodge was beautiful - stone, lots of windows, huge fireplace.  Dinner was
some delicious venison chili with just enough kick to be interesting,
cornbread, and chocolate chip cookies to die for.  There were door prizes at
the meeting, too.  After the meeting, it was back on the trailer for a fast
trip back to camp.

As usual, I laid awake most of the night...I don't sleep well before a ride,
and I was really nervous about trying a 50.  When it was finally time to get
up, Ross fed Chivas his beet pulp while I got dressed and downed some No-doze
(gotta feed the caffeine addiction).  I was too nervous to eat, but finally
managed to get tacked up and head to the start.

We hung back at the start, as I wanted to go nice and slow...we finally lined
out in an easy trot.  Chivas likes to chase other horses and pass them, and I
usually end up with blisters and aching arms and shoulders from fighting him.
 I tried to hit a happy medium this time.  After a couple of miles, I found
myself a little ways behind Gail Zeck and Heidi (not sure of last name?).
Heidi was riding one of Gail's horses in its first 50, so they were going
slow.  Cressy, Marilyn, Cressy's friend Pam, and a couple of others were a
little behind us.  After the first few miles, the trail began to twist and
wind through relatively steep areas.  I should mention that ride management
didn't just clear trail...they BUILT it!  A lot of what we rode was new trail
bulldozed through the junipers, with people then raking as many of the rocks
off as they could.  We could see where they had chainsawed lots of limbs off
junipers as well.  We alternated walking and trotting this section.  I
finally caught up to Gail and Heidi, and joked that if I was up with her, I
was definitely going too fast.  Gail said they were going slow since it was
Magnum's first 50.  We approached a keyhole, with the ride photographer at
the gate.  She was directing people through the gate, but Chivas decided to
spook at her and shoot off to the left, missing the gate...she kept calling,
"Through the gate!!, through the gate!!".  <G>  I finally got the goofball
turned around and he sidled through the gate, keep one eye and one ear on her
in case she decided to attack.  I tried to drop back several times, as Gail
and Heidi were going just a *tiny* bit faster than I wanted.  Chivas had
other ideas, and I finally decided it was less stressful on him to just stay
with them for this loop (14.2 miles).

We arrived back at camp, and Chivas pulsed down quickly.  He vetted through
with all A's and one or two A-'s.  He munched beet pulp and carrots during
the 30 min. hold.  When our out time came, I let Gail and Heidi get a 5-10
minute head start before I left, so that Chivas wouldn't fret over trying to
catch up.  We headed out alone, and he was fine for a couple of miles.  Then
I think he just got bored...he started his high, bouncy trot with neck bowed
and ears almost touching at the tips...with that "I'm about to spook at
something, but I haven't decided what yet" attitude, complete with little
swerves and mini-half halts, etc.  He was tossing me all over the place, and
refused to move out steadily.  We got to some water and I just hung out
there, knowing that Cressy, Pam, Marilyn, and Monday (sorry, don't know last
name) weren't far behind.  Sure enough, they came along in about 10 minutes,
and we rode the rest of the ride together as the "Herd of Turtles," as we
were in last place.  <G>  This was Monday's first 50 too.

The second loop (10.8 mi.) went quickly. Cressy led most of the way...Chivas
kept passing her, but when he got in front, he'd start acting goofy again.
He spooks a lot, and I think the rocks and cacti had him a little edgy.  <G>
As always, Chivas started drinking on the 2nd loop, and didn't stop for the
rest of the ride.  We all pulsed down together.  Chivas again got all A's and
a couple of A-'s.  This hold was 45 minutes, so we took Chivas back up to the
trailer.  He decided he didn't like the hay we'd brought (part of the same
bale he'd been eating happily at home - go figure).  Cressy's husband gave
him a flake of alfalfa, and Marilyn gave him a flake of her hay.  He ate
alfalfa and beet pulp during the hold, and drank well.

We all headed out on loop 3 (the 14.2 mile loop again) together.  While
walking around the trailer during the hold, I'd twisted my ankle on a
rock...10 minutes later I'd forgotten all about it.  About 3-4 miles into
loop 3, it started hurting, and by halfway through the loop I was in agony.
I made it through the loop with visions of Ibuprofin bottles dancing through
my head.  <G>  When we got to the water stop in the keyhole, we met up with
Linda Huereca (sp?) and her adorable mule Mariah.  Seems that Mariah was
bored with travelling alone.  They were inducted into our group and the Herd
of Turtles swept onward.

Finshed loop 3 and pulsed down quickly.  I kept waiting for Chivas to seem
tired, but he was perky and alert...I was really happy with how he was doing.
 He again vetted through with all A's and a few A-'s.  Ross had to trot him
out for me because of my ankle.  When Ross led him toward the food, Chivas
practically dragged him the last 6 feet.  He didn't take his nose out of the
buffet till Ross dragged it out to electrolyte him when we were ready to
leave.

The Herd of Turtles headed out together again, except that Marilyn stayed
behind for a few minutes, catching up in a few miles.  She has bad ankles,
and they were really bothering her.  Everyone's horse (and mule) looked
great.  Only 10.8 miles to go to my first 50 endurance miles!!!  The loop
flew by.  Marilyn and Monday slowed down about 2/3 of the way through and
came in a little later, but with their horses still looking good.  The rest
of us picked up speed as the finish line came into view.  Cressy warned me
that she and Pam usually galloped over the line just for fun.  I told them to
hurry up and pass me, since they'd led most of the way we'd ridden together
and should finish ahead of me.  We flew toward the line, and Chivas and I
crossed right behind Pam and Cressy, with Linda and Mariah right behind us.
As we crossed, I couldn't help but give a whoop, and was ready for Chivas to
spook in response.  However, a member of ride management stepped out of a
nearby truck as I whooped - the combination was too much for Chivas' little
brain and he shot sideways right through a big cactus.  :(  Got to the P&R
and while he drank I pulled spines out of his legs.  He pulsed down right
away.  Just the trot out remaining, but my husband was nowhere to be seen.
One of the ride vets, who had vetted Chivas all day, saw my forlorn look as I
hobbled toward him, and volunteered to trot him out, saying that he'd already
pulled the rider (me) for lameness earlier.  <G>  Then I heard those magic
words from head ride vet Gail Conway:  "He looks good!"  We'd done it - our
first 50!!  I walked on air for the rest of the day!  Our ride time was a
little over 8 1/2 hours.

A note about the ride - I loved the trails and scenery.  Ride management
spent an incredible amount of time BUILDING trail.  There were a number of
miles of raw trail bulldozed cross country, then painstakingly cleared of the
worst of the rocks, with lots of chainsaw work to cut limbs, etc.  I've only
been riding for 3 years, but I've never seen so much work put into clearing
and building trail!  My hat's off to them!  There were lots of rocks and some
stretches where you had to slow down and walk, but plenty of good flat
stretches where you could really fly if you wanted to.  I thought it was a
good mix of steep trail and flat - they seemed to mix it up, with a few miles
of steep, then a few miles of flatter trail.  Chivas' easy boots gave him
good traction on the patches of slick rock.  I thought the trail was marked
well.  They used some ribbon, but also lots of spray paint on rocks, the
ground, trees, cacti, etc.  There was plenty of room at camp for trailers.
Those of you who didn't make it to this ride, you missed a fun one!!  Oh, and
the smoked venison dinner Saturday night was pretty darned good, too!!  We'll
be back next year for sure.

Dawn in East Texas (50 AERC miles!!)
and HK Chivas