Acorns

Now I've been told that acorns are poisonous to horses, although I used
to have a pony who loved them.

Just this week my horses have started going NUTS (no pun intended) for
acorns.  It may have something to do with weather - snow cover is
recently gone again, although this has been a fairly open winter - but
one mare almost knocked me down to get a mouthful of acorns this morning.

What gives?

-Abby B
--
* * *