butt leaning

suzanne mounts mountss@usfca.edu
Hi all,

I have sort of an odd question and would like to take advantage of the
wealth of experience on this list.

I recently retired a horse with arthritic hocks.  One of the first signs
of trouble was the fact that he started leaning his backside--against
posts, fences, the front of the barn, whatever.

I've recently gotten a new mare, ran in the mountains of Colorado until 5
years old, then gently started by an expert horseman. She has not been
worked hard at all. She will be 6 this spring.

I've noticed that she seems to be leaning against the fence.  Not
scratching her tail; just leaning her backside against the fence, with one
foot cocked. Haven't noticed yet whether it is consistently one foot or
the other which is cocked (another early sign with the gelding).

She otherwise seems perfectly sound--lovely movement, none of the symptoms
shown by the above gelding (toe dragging, reluctance to go down hill,
etc.)  But given my experience with the gelding, this behavior makes me
nervous.

Have any of you observed this kind of behavior, unrelated to lameness
problems.

Thanks for your help.

Suzanne Mounts
Oakland, CA